Have you ever taken a bite into something and the explosion of delicious flavour in your mouth makes you want to have a dance party? No? Well, you’re about to. This is definitely one of my top 16 favourites dinners (10 seemed too low, 20 seemed too high).
The other great thing about this dish is how versatile it is. You can almost use anything you have on hand. I think that the combination of ingredients in this particular recipe is pretty spectacular but you could change it up if you want to.
- 2 tostadas per person
- Approximately 20 pieces of cooked shrimp
- 1 small can of corn (not creamed)
- 1 tomato
- 1 onion
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 lime
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups coleslaw mix
- 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon garlic
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter on medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon garlic, cayenne pepper, cumin, chilli powder, salt, pepper and onion and sauté until clear (about 10 minutes). Halfway through cooking the onions and garlic, add corn.
- Meanwhile, mash the avocado and add the rest of the garlic and lime juice from 1/4 of the lime to it. Mix together and put aside.
- When the corn and onions have finished cooking, add the shrimp and cook only until it is heated through. Be careful not to overcook.
- Lay the tostadas on your plate and then layer as follows: avocado mixture, diced tomato, coleslaw mix, cheddar cheese, shrimp mixture and then squeeze some lime juice over it to top it off.