I CANNOT BELIEVE HOW AMAZING THIS IS. I honestly can’t. It’s incredible. Maybe I loved it so much because my expectations were so low. I don’t know why but I never really liked the idea of tofu. I’ll admit it, I was prejudiced against it. I only ever had it in miso soup and pad thai and I felt like it was squishy and didn’t taste like anything. I didn’t hate it and I didn’t like it; it was completely neutral. So I was hesitant to make a whole alfredo sauce out of the stuff. But this is a kitchen raid and it’s all I had. And it was a-freaking-mazing. So delicious! Dare I say, better than the real thing? I dare. Try it out for yourself and let me know what you think.
I was on Chocolate-Covered Katie’s blog a while ago and saw that she used tofu in some of her recipes, specifically in an icing recipe, and I was going to give it a go, but I made my Healthy Banana Muffins with Maple Syrup Drizzle instead. So now I had all this tofu and nothing to make with it. That’s when the wheels starting turning in my noggin. I didn’t want to make something sweet so my mind went to sauce… white sauce… noodles… ALFREDO! Pure genius, if I do say so myself. I’m so excited about this. I’m sure it’s been done before but so has everything else and it’s an original idea to me.
- 1 package of silken tofu (530 g)
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ white onions, cut in half and sliced
- 1 package spaghettini (you can use linguine or any other pasta you like)
- 1 cup cooked shrimp, tails off
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Salt to taste
- Add oil and garlic to a skillet over medium heat and add onions. Sauté for 10 to 15 minutes or until the onions are brown.
- Add tofu, almond milk, parmesan and pepper to a blender and blend until smooth. Add this mixture to the onions over low heat and warm. Do not bring to a boil, this will make it all clumpy and gross.
- Add shrimp. If you are using raw shrimp, add to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes before adding the tofu mixture.
- Cook your pasta according to the instructions on the packaging.
- Mix pasta and sauce together and revel in your greatness.