Happy Canada Day to all my fellow Canadians out there! Hope you’re having an awesome day celebrating our beautiful country. I decided to pay homage to Canada the best way I know how: making cupcakes. And what better than red and white cupcakes? Brilliant, I say! Also, these strawberries came in my organics basket this week and they are locally grown, right here in Ontario. Look at how patriotic I’m being. I also just love cupcakes and strawberries.
This made two perfect batches of mini cupcakes. I’m not a huge fan of frosting or icing, so I didn’t add any, but feel free if that’s your cup of tea. These were so delicious on their own, that they really didn’t need anything else. Mmmm…. I’m drooling just thinking about them. I think that means I should eat another one.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2¼ cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- Preheat your oven to 350° and grease your cupcake tray.
- Cream the butter and 1¼ cups of sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time until well combined and then add vanilla.
- Mix your flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Slowly add the flour to the wet ingredients alternately with the greek yogurt and milk.
- When this is all mixed together, fill your cupcake tray with it (each cup should be about 2/3 full and set aside.
- Use a food processor to mix to strawberries and remaining sugar together. Add a small dollop of the strawberry mixture to the top of the cupcakes and then stir it into the cupcake with a toothpick. Don’t over stir here, you want to be able to see the two different colours.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick will come out clean when inserted.
- Eat and enjoy your Canada Day!
*I made mini cupcakes with this recipe, if you are going to do regular size cupcakes, adjust your baking time to 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.