There are a couple items that I consistently get in my weekly fruit and veggie basket. One of them is zucchini. As someone who didn’t eat very much zucchini prior to these baskets coming, it was becoming a bit of a struggle to continuously find new ways to integrate them into recipes. You can only have so many Zucchini Boats. Last week I received two more. What in the world was I going to do with them? That’s when I realized – when all else fails, batter em’ and fry em’.
This recipe is ridiculously easy but it is slightly time consuming. In hind sight, I could and should have used my deep fryer, but this still worked perfectly fine. I just had a lot of zucchini so I had to do it in multiple batches. The fun part about this recipe is that you can mix whatever spices you like in with the panko batter, which will make them taste differently every time. Be creative and let me know which spices you used and how you liked it.
- 1 zucchini, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Cooking oil (I used olive oil)
- Prepare 3 separate bowls. One with flour, one with your egg beaten and mixed with the water, and the last one with the panko and all the seasonings mixed together.
- Dredge your zucchini through the flour, then dip it in the egg and finally, lay it on the panko mix and scoop some panko on top and press it into the zucchini (the reason why you want to lay it on the panko mix and then scoop more mix on top is so that your hand don’t get too encrusted in the panko mix as you go).
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with enough oil to cover the bottom of the skillet.
- Add your breaded zucchini to the skillet and fry for about 3-4 minutes per side or until it is a nice golden brown.
- Serve with tzatziki for dipping.