Howdy all, and happy hump day! I have something up my sleeves that is going to make your midweek that much better. Anyone out there that loves baked goods as much as I do? There’s something so much more satisfying about eating a muffin for breakfast than eating fruit. As many of you know, I get a weekly organic fruit and veggie basket delivered to my house. Prior to doing this, I really didn’t eat that much fruit. I would have the odd banana or an apple here and there but I now have so much! All the time! And I just can’t keep up. So I decided to make a recipe that would use up some of the fruit I had laying around. The result = delicious!
When I have bananas that are starting to brown, they immediately go in my freezer. Everyone should do this. They can stay in there for months and whenever you’re making a recipe that includes bananas, you pop ’em out and they defrost in about 15-20 minutes. Perfect! Well, I had been doing this a bit too much and I had a pretty large store of bananas in my freezer. They were starting to take over! I had also gotten blueberries three weeks in a row and hadn’t eaten very many of them. I refuse to throw out food (unless completely necessary) so I made the biggest batch of banana blueberry muffins; I made three dozen. And because I knew I would have so many, I had to make them healthy so I wouldn’t feel too guilty when I ate them all. As such, I’ll give you the ingredient list for the batch I made (in case you have a ridiculous amount of fruit laying around) and I’ll give you the ingredient list for normal human consumption.
Ingredients for a GIANT Batch / Ingredients for a Normal Human Batch
- 9 mashed bananas / 3 mashed bananas (the riper the better – preferably from the freezer)
- 2½ cups blueberries / ¾ cup blueberries (slightly chopped)
- 1 cup olive oil / 1/3 cup olive oil
- 6 eggs / 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract / 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup maple syrup / 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon baking soda / 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons salt / 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon / 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup rolled oats / 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 3 cups flour / 1 cup flour
- 1 cup wheat bran / 1/3 cup wheat bran
- 3/4 cup flaxseed or flaxmeal / 1/4 cup flaxseed or flaxmeal
- Preheat your oven to 325° and grease your pan.
- Mix all of your wet ingredients together: bananas, blueberries, olive oil, eggs, vanilla, and maple syrup.
- In a separate bowl, mix all of your dry ingredients together: baking soda, salt, cinnamon, rolled oats, flour, wheat bran, and flaxseed.
- Mix these two bowls together until just combined.
- Spoon your mixture into your muffin tray and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick will come out clean when you insert it into the muffin.
So easy and so delicious… and relatively healthy in the way of muffins. Make some now!
*What I did with the muffins after they were all baked is I kept about ten out for breakfasts for my husband and I throughout the week and then I individually plastic wrapped the rest and put them in the freezer so they would be easy to take out the night before for breakfasts in the upcoming weeks.